FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why did you release this new book?
Over the last couple of years, I visited US business schools, teaching interview skills to students who wanted to switch careers into the tech industry.
Students asked, How do I prepare for:
* Marketing management interviews at Dell?
* Supply chain interviews at Apple?
* Vendor management interviews at Amazon?
* Corporate strategy interviews at Microsoft?
* Partner and business development interviews at Google?
Together, we uncovered a gap in preparing candidates for those types of roles. And like PM interviews, all of these roles have tough case interview questions, just in a different domain.
So in response, Case Interview Questions for Tech is that case interview prep book tech industry candidates have been waiting for.
What are case questions?
Case questions are interview questions based on hypothetical business scenarios. Here are case question examples, which are featured in the new book (along with sample answers):
* Create a marketing campaign for Microsoft Office 365.
* Write a media statement to respond to Uber mischaracterizations voiced in a taxi leader’s newspaper op-ed.
* What’s the bottleneck for an Amazon Robot Picker? And what is the capacity of the assembly line, in units per hour?
* Amazon ships 200 orders per second. Amazon’s data science team discovered that the average number of orders waiting to be shipped was 20,650. How long did the average Amazon order wait to be shipped?
* What should Apple consider before implementing a shop-in-shop store inside Best Buy?
* If you projected a $500M expense and the variance came in at $1M, what are some of the explanations for why that is happening? Be prepared to give more than three scenarios.
* A car dealer partner wants to stop doing business with Uber. What should you do?
* How would you identify university faculty to source content for an online university?
* If you could open a Google retail store anywhere, where would it be and why?
* Give your analysis of several recent acquisitions that Google has made.
* What top metrics would you track for the Tinder online dating app?
* If 1,000 people opened the Uber app during one hour, how many cars do you need?
What's in the book? And how is it different from PM Interview Questions?
Case Interview Questions for Tech provides 155 practice questions and answers to help you conquer case questions at tech industry interviews.
Think of Case Interview Questions for Tech as broadly covering case interview questions for a variety of business-oriented roles in the tech industry, whereasPM Interview Questions focuses only on PM case questions. But we have included a healthy dose of new PM case questions and sample answers in this book too!
Who should get this book?
This book is particularly ideal for folks who are:
▪ NEW TO TECH...and looking to transition in
▪ IN TECH ALREADY BUT NON-BUSINESS SIDE...and looking to transition to business-side
▪ IN TECH ALREADY AND ON THE BUSINESS-SIDE...and planning to upgrade into a dream job and need to brush up on case interview skills first
Did you write the book in two weeks?
My contributing author, Teng, and I have been working on both books for the last 12 months.
We wanted to launch both books at the same time, but many of you told us, "Don't stall. We need the books ASAP for our interviews."
So we've released the books as soon as we could.
Is it available in digital format?
It is available in PDF format. This is perfect for folks who can't wait for Amazon to deliver it or if Amazon won't ship the book to their home country.
Are you planning to launch a third book in 2016?
No. I've got Halloween plans to think about. 🎃
Enjoy the new book and best of luck with the fall 🍂 recruiting season,
Lewis C. Lin